Recently, Mugo Web helped our long-time client, Soko Media, migrate their hosting infrastructure from WP Engine to AWS. While WP Engine can be a decent solution for some business models, it wasn’t adequate for an enterprise of this size. Soko was having performance issues on their sites and needed a more robust solution.
Advantages of AWS over WP Engine:
- Ability to run more instances. Having more cloud dev opportunities and a staging site in a separate environment from production leads to greater stability.
- Developer control over git and deployments.
- Full control of the stack including mysql tweaks and custom VCL.
- Better analytics. AWS has a full suite of analytic services with a focus on cost savings.
- No random updates. WP Engine has a history of pushing through unplanned updates that had the potential to break the site.
AWS is proving to cost Soko less than a quarter of what they were paying for WP Engine, and the migration immediately improved performance without having to make any changes to the code.
Learn more about Soko's Business of Apps