Alberta Gymnastics Federation levels up on its web presence
Routines may be the norm in gymnastics, but when the Alberta Gymnastics Federation came to Mugo for a website refresh, the last thing it wanted was a routine update to its digital presence.
The governing body for gymnastics in Alberta wanted not only to add some flair to its aging site, but also to make it easier for both staff and site visitors to accomplish their goals online.
The member-based organization was working with a five-year-old site that had gotten cumbersome for staff to update and confusing for users to find what they needed. Plus, it wasn’t optimized for mobile devices.
The organization wanted to be able to highlight events on their homepage without having to call a developer, but the site wasn’t set up for them to do that, so site visitors had to dig for the latest updates.
And after years of patchwork updates leading to design inconsistencies, the Federation also wanted a more consistent look throughout the site.
Mugo refreshed the site’s design with an eye to modernizing key features and simplifying the user experience. Key elements of the redesign included:
- Homepage features: We implemented a grid design for the homepage that enables staff to easily manage featured items. The Federation wanted to be able to highlight events on its homepage, so we also created an events feature box and automated the posting process so that selected events could be set to automatically display there. In the back-end, a homepage grid admin UI enables staff to edit the homepage using a simple grid view with drag and drop tools. The grid allows for flexibility in the homepage layout to feature a combination of horizontal and vertical design blocks.
- Navigation menus: Three layers of navigation menus had made it challenging for users to find and get to the pages they needed. Mugo simplified the navigation into a primary and secondary menu.
- Social media channel integration: The Federation wanted to share its social media updates on its homepage, so we integrated its Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram channels.
- Responsive design: The new responsive site displays fluidly on all screen sizes.
Alberta Gymnastics also needed a solution to better manage and display its events calendar. Individual managers had been maintaining their respective events in Google calendars, and each had to manually re-add every event into the site’s CMS. We implemented the Mugo Calendar to consolidate event listings. Now each manager has their own calendar right in the CMS, so events only need to be entered once.
The Mugo Calendar offers some advanced features such as:
- Categorization: The calendar allows content creators to categorize their events, and allows users to filter their view based on categories. Categories are colour coded, and each category is managed by an editor at The Federation. Editors have access only to their respective categories.
- Maps: When event managers enter the location of their events, the Google Map API automatically pulls a map into their event listing.
- Featured events: Event editors can simply check a box to have their events be featured on the homepage in the Events column.
- Event recurrence: Event editors can set their events to automatically recur at regular or irregular intervals
- Listing downloads: Users can download events listings to their personal calendar, whether it’s Apple, Google, Outlook, or otherwise.
New site features
After the successful redesign, Alberta Gymnastics requested some new features for the site, which Mugo was able to build and implement. These included:
- E-commerce store: Mugo built an e-commerce store that enables members to order supplies such as chalk and badges. Prior to the online store, members had to mail in a form with a cheque. Now they can pay for their purchases through PayPal and staff can receive and fulfill orders immediately. A smart order form adjusts the price based on the location of the buyer, and whether or not they are a member of The Federation. It also automatically adjusts shipping costs as required. Site managers can see all pending orders in a back-end dashboard, and can add and define new materials with specific pricing criteria.
- Insurance claims processing: Alberta Gymnastics provides insurance coverage for its members, but claims traditionally had to be printed and mailed to the insurance company. Mugo implemented a more efficient process by building a claims processing portal that enables members to access the forms they need and submit them online. The web application had to achieve two main goals: allow all Federation members to submit and manage an insurance claim without having to log in and/or create a user account, and allow the insurance company to manage, process, and assess claims submitted by Federation members. Read more about our insurance claims web app here.
- Course evaluations: Mugo built a mini site for Alberta Gymnastics Federation certification course evaluations through which applicants are able to submit certification requirements and payment for their evaluations online, and evaluators are able to submit feedback.
Development workflow best practices
To provide a transparent and secure development environment, we also implemented a set of development best practices including code versioning, a staging environment to test changes before they go live, as well as a ticketing system to track all change requests and development processes. This provides the Federation with a recorded history of changes, so it can trace the evolution of the code or roll back the site in the event of issues.
We also migrated the site froma shared hosting situation to a new host where Alberta Gymnastics could have its own virtual server.
Alberta Gymnastics Federation’s site is easier to use for staff and members, and more effectively enables the Federation to serve and engage its community. The site has become more of a unified hub for resources and member services, and allows staff to save time on admin tasks.
The Federation plans to continue to work with Mugo to develop new features and iterate on website enhancements.
Hi, we're Mugo Web - Nice to meet you!
We're a group of web experts who solve complex web problems.Learn more about us »
What Our Clients Say
We have been using [Mugo] for editing, consulting, support and training services in North America for the last 3 years and we still do. Aleksander Farstad, CEO, eZ Systems
[Mugo has] the rare blend of business knowledge and deep technical expertise, and they excel at listening to business requirements and translating those requirements into intelligent and reliable software products. Graham Tillotson, Co-Founder, Tandem, Chicago
[Mugo is] able to work on all aspects of software solutions -- front end/UI, core code, modules and extensions, application integration, and infrastructure -- and they are extremely capable in all of those areas. Graham Tillotson, Co-Founder, Tandem, Chicago
I highly recommend Mugo to anyone in need of a competent and dependable technology partner. Graham Tillotson, Co-Founder, Tandem, Chicago
If you ask me what is the first thing you think of about the Mugo team, I would say that they listen. Daniel Iribarren, Tangerix
Mugo Web is not another service provider. One of the things I really like about [them] is that they care about my project and myself. That is why I call them my partners. Daniel Iribarren, Tangerix
Mugo Web is not just a group of geeks. They are a team of highly knowledgeable technology and business people. [They] will help you to use geek stuff to solve business problems. Daniel Iribarren, Tangerix
I have worked with more than 10 different production centers and what they delivered to me was geek stuff. Not business solutions. [Mugo] understands that they are helping you to design solutions to satisfy or solve business problems. Daniel Iribarren, Tangerix
[Mugo is] fast, efficient, and always helpful. They respond positively to questions and offer great solutions to technical problems. Susan Wright, Director of Operations, Toronto Arts Council and Foundation
We've been extremely pleased with the work Mugo has done for us. They have been responsive and understanding in dealing with the complexities of our needs. Wendy Prugh, Program Manager, The Christian Science Monitor
[Mugo] has demonstrated a high caliber of competency in the work they do, and it instills great confidence in us to know that we have such quality professionals in our corner. We certainly look forward to continuing this relationship! Wendy Prugh, Program Manager, The Christian Science Monitor
Thank you very much Mugo Web for the work you've done. You valued and respected our time, produced quality work, paid attention to detail and understood the JPLradio concept. For that, I/we thank you. Troy B. Williams, Founder & Program Director, Just Positive Lyrics Radio
We thoroughly enjoy our working relationship with Mugo Web. They are customer-focused, take the time to listen, give good solid advice with our best interests in mind, and have a quick turnaround time. Paul O'Sullivan, IT Specialist, New Society Publishers
From our first contact, the team at Mugo has shown an unprecedented level of commitment to our web projects... ending almost 4 years of struggling! They are fast, precise and thorough, and definitely stand out in the industry! Sébastien Michel, Director, Frogs-in-NZ
In the three months Mugo worked on our new version -- which had stalled with our previous developers -- we have made more progress than ever before. Sébastien Michel, Director, Frogs-in-NZ
Mugo Web's breadth of expertise, high quality of work, and insightful online business consulting help us to focus on providing reliable, balanced data and analysis that our readers have come to trust. Mike Boniello, Chief Operations Officer, Rasmussen Reports
In addition to the features that readers see, Mugo has made significant workflow and content structure improvements that have saved time for our editors who work within the content management system all day. Mike Boniello, Chief Operations Officer, Rasmussen Reports
[Mugo] has shown their expert knowledge of eZ Publish on large, high-traffice enterprise customers, and they are responsive and dedicated. Aleksander Farstad, CEO, eZ Systems
We recommend Mugo highly as an expert team with a remarkably strong commitment to building great projects that work. Craig Riggs, Project Lead, 49th Shelf
The Mugo team has always added considerable value in improving not only the back-end systems and server-side performance for the site but also in strengthening the user experience and usability. Craig Riggs, Project Lead, 49th Shelf
Mugo has consistently delivered beyond our already-high expectations. Craig Riggs, Project Lead, 49th Shelf
I've been working closely with Mugo over the past few years on a variety of projects. The reason I've come back to them again and again is because they are excellent to work with. Each time we had a new project we would talk in detail about the goals and workflow. Because we had discussed everything in detail up front, the trial versions of the programs were always already quite well developed even in early stages.
The Mugo team is always prompt with their replies to any query I might have, and quick to solve any issues that may arise.
I think we all agree that the experience has been excellent. I would not even consider hiring anyone else! Dr. Caroline Tyson, Emergency Physician,
I had the pleasure to work with Mugo Web back in 2014. They were exceptionally professional, patient and helpful as we tried to meander our way through a complex website rebuild with multiple stakeholders. They held our hand on technical issues, stepped up to the plate and got their hands dirty to get the work done and also knew when to step away to let us process when needed. They were a real joy for us to work with. Kate Chalmers, Director Marketing Operations, Hootsuite Media Inc
Based in central Alberta, Strathcona County serves a population of 100,000 residents east of Edmonton.Learn more about what we did »
Yes - we can do that.
Many years of experience with complex websites allows us to offer total solutions.Learn more about what we can do »