Client-facing web development manager
Mugo is hiring a new client-facing web development manager.
With the right skills and experience, we are open to candidates who are outside of the Metro Vancouver area.
Why people like working at Mugo
- We work on interesting and challenging projects
- Our clients trust and respect us
- Our team is technically skilled and values a high quality product
- We're aggressive about getting better and understand the process of learning
- We make time to help each other
- eZ Platform is a rocking framework
- Internally, we make a distinct effort to cut out as much politics and administrative red tape as possible
- We are relatively small but our business is stable
- We take our work seriously but don't take ourselves too seriously
- We offer a competitive compensation package and benefits
- We have regular work-at-home days
- There is opportunity to travel for conferences and to meet with clients
- Our office is in a great location in downtown New Westminster with a great view!
What will you work on?
We are looking for someone with web development experience, but who can run projects and interact directly with clients.
Some regular tasks include:
- First and foremost, working with clients to understand their needs and to propose and develop solutions to meet those needs!
- Writing specifications and managing projects with both internal and client team members
- Debugging a website issue when the problem is that the client has done something random in it
- Debugging a performance problem where the resolution is somewhere in Apache max clients or MySQL max connections - and the canonically general version of this ;)
- Understanding a client request, validating against a scope of work, and responding appropriately
- Negotiating and persuading diverse stakeholders to common goals, especially client managers, client developers, and third party agencies of diverse kinds
- Applying responsive designs to new and existing sites with HTML, CSS, JS, jQuery, Bootstrap, and Grunt
- Retrofitting sites for accessibility according to WCAG 2.0 standards
- Creating efficient and intuitive content models for editors to manage content and gate content available only to subscribers
- Creating systems for health care professionals to evaluate each other
- Setting up and measuring A/B tests
- Evaluating CDNs and implementing purge-on-publish workflows
- Setting up e-commerce checkout workflows, including integrations with payment gateways such as PayPal, Moneris, and Authorize.Net
- Creating publishing workflows to syndicate content to Apple News, Yahoo, ProQuest, AP, and more
- Helping publishers monetize content with display ads, native advertising, analytics, sponsored podcasts, and sponsored videos
- Setting up server architecture to achieve redundancy at all levels of the stack: public-facing servers; MySQL master-slave, Solr, shared file system, memcache, Varnish
- Optimizing cache and clustering configurations
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Conscientious and humble
- A desire to continuously learn
- An awareness of what you're good at and where you need to improve
- Not afraid to ask questions
- Good listener and communicator
- Able to relate to other people's needs
- Project management skills: know when to update your team members; able to work according to project specifications; able to attend to client needs
- Comfortable with the LAMP stack
- Familiarity with PHP frameworks such as Symfony
- Advanced in PHP and ability to learn a Smarty-like templating language
- Nice to have: experience with: reverse proxies like Varnish; load balancers; MySQL master/slave setups
- Nice to have: good eye for design
How to apply
First, take a couple minutes to visit our website and read a bit more about what we do.
Then, send a cover letter and your resume to jobs AT mugo DOT ca, using the subject line "I love LAMP".