Client-facing Website Development Manager
Mugo Web is hiring a new Client-facing Website Development Manager.
With the right skills and experience, we are open to candidates who are outside of the Metro Vancouver area.
Is this the right fit for you?
Mugo Web’s mission is to build long-lasting business-critical websites. We develop best-in-class, practical, and efficient solutions that provide good value to our clients. We support our clients’ goals with passion and commitment, and strive to develop mutually beneficial long-term relationships.
We've worked with many of our clients for over 5 years, and some for over 10 years. We have a team of 11 developers, and we do mostly custom website development using an open source content management system (Ibexa DXP) across a wide variety of industries. Part of our business also focuses on solutions targeted at specific industries. For example, ReaderBound focuses on commercial book publishing companies.
We care about our team members. A lot. We’re a tight-knit team, and we support each other in achieving professional excellence, growth, and personal balance. We take pride in our work, and we have fun doing it.
The Client-facing Website Development Manager role requires someone who has a strong technical development background and who can analyze clients' business and technical needs. This person is the client's main point of contact and must provide quick and informed client care. This person is well-organized and runs each project, but is much more than a high level scrum master. They take deep ownership of all development activity on a project. They can write detailed task descriptions with the proper context, perform QA, and know when to take on a development task themselves.
Why people like working at Mugo
- We work on interesting and challenging projects
- Our clients trust and respect us
- Our team is technically skilled and values a high quality product
- We're aggressive about getting better and understand the process of learning
- We make time to help each other
- Ibexa DXP (formerly called eZ Platform) is a rocking framework
- Internally, we make a distinct effort to cut out as much politics and administrative red tape as possible
- We take our work seriously but don't take ourselves too seriously
- We offer a competitive compensation package and benefits
- We have regular work-at-home days (although, for the foreseeable future with COVID-19, we are all working from home!)
- There is opportunity to travel for conferences and to meet with clients (post-COVID)
- Our office is in a great location in downtown New Westminster with a great view!
What will you work on?
We are looking for someone with web development experience, but who can run projects and interact directly with clients.
Some regular tasks include:
- First and foremost, working with clients to understand their needs and to propose and develop solutions to meet those needs!
- Writing specifications and managing projects with both internal and client team members
- Debugging a website issue when the problem is that the client has done something random in it
- Debugging a performance problem where the resolution is somewhere in Apache max clients or MySQL max connections - and the canonically general version of this ;)
- Understanding a client request, validating against a scope of work, and responding appropriately
- Negotiating and persuading diverse stakeholders to common goals, especially client managers, client developers, and third party agencies of diverse kinds
- Applying responsive designs to new and existing sites with HTML, CSS, JS, jQuery, Bootstrap, and Grunt
- Retrofitting sites for accessibility according to WCAG 2.0 standards
- Creating efficient and intuitive content models for editors to manage content and gate content available only to subscribers
- Setting up and measuring A/B tests
- Configure site analytics and front-end tag management (with GTM, for example)
- Setting up e-commerce checkout workflows, including integrations with payment gateways such as PayPal, Moneris, and Authorize.Net
- Setting up server architecture to achieve redundancy at all levels of the stack: public-facing servers; MySQL master-slave, Solr, shared file system, memcache, Varnish
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Conscientious and humble
- A desire to continuously learn
- An awareness of what you're good at and where you need to improve
- Not afraid to ask questions
- Good listener and communicator
- Able to relate to other people's needs
- Project management skills: know when to update your team members; able to work according to project specifications; able to attend to client needs
- Comfortable with the LAMP stack
- Familiarity with PHP frameworks such as Symfony
- Nice to have: experience with: reverse proxies like Varnish; load balancers; MySQL master/slave setups
- Nice to have: good eye for design
How to apply
First, take a couple minutes to visit our website and read a bit more about what we do.
Then, send a cover letter and your resume to jobs AT mugo DOT ca, using the subject line "I love LAMP".